Touch Downl NFL

Really personal NFL Blog

Manning plans to thanks Helton for two big assists

Manning and Helton
Manning and Helton

Peyton Manning plans to catch Todd Helton's final home game for the Colorado Rockies next week so he can pay homage to his college buddy who gave him two big assists over the years.

The first came when Manning was a homesick freshman at the University of Tennessee in 1994 and Helton, already a star in both football and baseball, took him under his wing and helped him adjust to college life.

The second came when Manning was plotting his comeback from neck problems two years ago that nearly derailed his NFL career.

Manning was prevented from seeing his team doctors or rehabbing at the Indianapolis Colts' facilities during the lockout that offseason. So, Helton arranged for Manning to use the Rockies' facilities to work out.

After missing that 2011 season, Manning switched teams and rejoined his good friend in Denver, where Helton has played his entire 17-year baseball career.

Helton announced last weekend that he's hanging up his cleats at age 40.

"I'll be there next Wednesday to see his last game," Manning said Thursday.

After listing what he admires about Helton as a pro consistency, toughness, dogged determination Manning spoke about what Helton's friendship has meant to him over the last two decades.

"He was nice to me as an 18-year-old homesick freshman up there in Knoxville," Manning said. "Todd was a big star when I got there already, a Knoxville legend, and so he took time to be nice to me, and I appreciated that."

Although Manning unseated Helton as the Volunteers' QB, they've remained close, attending each other's games when they've had the chance.

"A couple of years ago, during that lockout when I was in a strange and new situation, for him to get on that phone and call me and invite me out here to work out with the Rockies in private and use the Rockies' trainers, I'll always be indebted to him," Manning said. "Because I was in kind of a weird place, unknown, I had nobody to turn to medically because of the lockout."

Helton is in the midst of his final homestand and will make his last appearance at Coors Field when the Rockies play the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday night.

"I'm happy for him," Manning said. "I feel like he's at peace with it. I have communicated with him. I hope he enjoys these last games, but there won't be another one like him here, I can promise you that."

article source: AP NFL

0 comments

Leave a comment





Preview on Feedage: td-nfl

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google!

Add to AOL!

Add to MSN

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to Netvibes

Subscribe in Pakeflakes

Subscribe in Bloglines

Add to Alesti RSS Reader

Add to Feedage.com Groups

Add to Windows Live

iPing-it

Add to Feedage RSS Alerts

Add To Fwicki

Subscribe to our RSS Feed! Follow us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter! Visit our LinkedIn Profile!